20% Project #1 The Piano

Hello my name is Nate, for my 20% project I am learning about the piano, like how the piano functions, what are the most famous songs played on the piano, who are some of the greatest composers, how to play one of the famous songs etc. This week my goal was to learn how the piano functions and what do the pedals do on the piano. I took a photo of the different names of the pedals the names are the Soft Pedal the one on the left, the Sostenuto Pedal the one in the middle, and lastly the Sustain pedal the one on the right. I did not have any struggles this week, however there was a lot of things to learn about the mechanism when you press one of the piano keys. When you press a note it is a chain reaction that leads to a hammer that hits a string the lower the note the thicker the string and makes the sound last more and there is a thing called the Damper on top of the string and when you take off your finger from the key the Damper falls down and stops the sound, the higher the note the thinner string. The sound lasts a little bit and doesn’t need a Damper because the sound fades away so quickly it doesn’t really make a difference. This is all I learned this week see you next week.